My beautiful Italian canning jars arrived from Amazon today!
I have five different kinds of basil in my garden, also lemon balm and some oregano. I am going to be making pestos this weekend!
It’s easier than falling down! You simply use a food processor and meld herbs, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic and some parmesan cheese together to the taste you like! Make sure you leave a little layer of olive oil on top. You can store these in the fridge or freeze.
It’s a little dieting joy in a bottle. The flavor is just lovely and can add life to the simplest meals. Add a little to hot pasta and you have added an elegant, sophisticate flavor to a simple pasta.
- A schmear on toasted french bread for a better snack
- bruschetta: tomato and a shave of parmesan
- kick a BLT up a notch with pesto mayo
- put it in an omelette for color and flavor
- mix with mayo for a mouth delite
- in any savory sandwich, egg salad?
- mix with couscous and chopped onions
- stir into hummus for a great veg dip
- use instead of tomato sauce on a pizza
- makes a killer quiche flavor
- enhance homemade meatballs!
- add to scrambled tofu
- turns scrambled eggs into Dr Suess’ Green Eggs and Ham!
…yes the list can go on and on…
would sage pesto work in a turkey sandwich?